Yesterday, WhatsApp officially announced their API for WhatsApp for business. This will finally allow larger businesses to access the platform. Although WhatsApp has been shedding light on their plans bit-by-bit over the last year, the release brings a few surprises. Here are the most important takeaways:
- No ads in WhatsApp‘s chat interface. Facebook has decided to stay true to the starting principles of WhatsApp and not let in any advertisement in the app itself. Yet.
- Businesses will pay to send messages on WhatsApp. Additionally, they can create ads on facebook to get users into their WhatsApp channel in the first place.
- Bad news for businesses already using WhatsApp, through an unofficial hack or unofficial third-party-providers. WhatsApp writes in it’s release: “if you use anything other than the official WhatsApp Business API or other official WhatsApp tools, we reserve the right to limit or remove your access to WhatsApp”
- Verified Business profiles will be necessary to use the new functionality
- Full encryption, as users are used to in WhatsApp, will be upheld fully in Business-to-Consumer communication
- SMS is the target for WhatsApp, as the first use-cases all try to emulate and improve the most common SMS uses for business.
Talk to a conversational marketing specialist.
Share the insights.
See conversational marketing best
practices in action.
Virgin Media recommends personalized broadband plans in conversational display ads.
26% CTR To Product
Omio quickly guides travelers to answers by automating their FAQs on Messenger.
62% Answered Instantly
Deichmann's shoe finder bot recommends shoes and helps customers find store locations.
Boosts Shoe Sales
Telekom recommends the best phone contract to customers based on their needs.
4x Return on Ad Spend
Ford boosts favorability and purchase intent for their Ford Ranger model in Thailand.
38% Purchase Intent Lift
Renault educates consumers about the ZOE electric car and captures qualified leads.
-36% Cost Per Conversion
Purple guides shoppers to the perfect mattress based on their personal sleep style.
4x Return on Ad Spend
Groupon recommends offers in real-time based on location and personal preferences.
+20% ad recall lift